Caramelized Pear Walnut Bread with Apple Cider Glaze
Makes one loaf
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 c. canola oil
- 1/4 c. skim milk
- 1/4 c. apple cider
- 3/4 c. all purpose flour
- 3/4 c. white whole wheat flour, such as King Arthur
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pinch of cloves
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- 1/2 c. caramelized pears *see below*
- Apple Cider Glaze *see below*
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 9x5" loaf pan. Set pan aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, applesauce, oil, milk, and cider until thoroughly mixed.
3. In a large bowl, sift flours, both sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Push any clumps through sifter.
4. Slowly fold in the egg mixture into the dry mixture. Add in cooled pears and nuts. Fold lightly. Do not overmix. Some flour streaks or small clumps are ok. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake 55-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow bread to cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes then remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
6. Slice the bread and drizzle on the cider glaze. Enjoy!
- 1/2 c. dried pears, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. apple cider
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil until pears have doubled in size and the liquid is a thick syrup, 5-6 minutes. Let cool completely.
Apple Cider Glaze
- 2/3 c. apple cider
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil until thick and syrupy, 8-10 minutes.